#9 – The Queer Youth Camp Experience
This episode, we take a look at the experience of queer youth at outdoor camps. With the help of Dr. Fenton Litwiller, Assistant Professor in the faculty of Kinesiology and Recreation Management at the University of Manitoba, and Elyse Rylander, founder of Out There Adventures, we aim to look at the role of outdoor camps in the lives of queer youth.
Links from today’s episode:
- Dr. Fenton Litwiller
- ‘You can see their minds grow’: identity development of LGBTQ youth at a residential wilderness camp
- When Bunks Become Closets and How to Open Them: Making Room for Queer and Trans Safe Space in Residential Summer Room for Queer and Trans Safe Space in Residential Summer Camps Camps
- LGBTQ Girl Scouts Reflect on Their Outdoor Experiences
- The Palgrave International Handbook of Women and Outdoor Learning
- The Avarna Group
- Connect with Elyse Rylander via Instagram
- Diversify Outdoors
- In Solidarity Project
The cover photo for today’s episode was shot by Sharon McCutcheon, a photographer specializing in LGBTQIA+ themes who so graciously made her photo available free of royalties via Unsplash.com.
Find out more at https://disconnect.pinecast.co